Which Le Creuset tea kettle is best?
There’s nothing more relaxing for many people than a good cup of hot tea. The only trouble is getting your water hot enough so the leaves can properly steep. Tea kettles are the classic choice for bringing your water to a boil, and Le Creuset offers many excellent options.
The best Le Creuset tea kettle is the Le Creuset Enamel-On-Steel Whistling Tea Kettle. It comes in several gorgeous colors, the handle is heat-resistant and the enamel coating doesn’t eliminate induction stove compatibility.
What to know before you buy a Le Creuset tea kettle
Stovetop vs. electric tea kettles
Tea kettles are made to be heated using a stovetop or by plugging into an outlet. Le Creuset only makes stovetop kettles, but it’s important to understand the difference so you can buy the right product for you.
- Stovetop kettles are heated directly over a source of heat. They are usually made of metal — most commonly steel or aluminum, but occasionally copper. They’re more aesthetically pleasing than electric kettles, but aren’t as energy efficient and can be more dangerous to use.
- Electric kettles plug directly into an outlet or rest on a plugged-in heating pad. Either way, they are more energy efficient and safer to use — in fact, the bottom of electric kettles that use a heating pad is safe to touch and place on delicate surfaces.
Size and capacity
Consider a Le Creuset tea kettle’s base size and capacity when shopping.
- Base size: The base size should be roughly the same size as one of your stovetop burners. Too large and it won’t heat effectively. Too small and the exterior can become dangerously overheated.
- Capacity: Le Creuset kettles have a minimum and maximum capacity, both marked by internal lines. The maximum capacity is typically 1.25 or 1.7 quarts. Don’t buy a kettle larger than you need, or you could waste water.
What to look for in a quality Le Creuset tea kettle
Some Le Creuset tea kettles can be purchased with a range of accessories that match the design of the kettle for a small discount. The most popular accessories are two mugs or cream and sugar containers. You can also find kettles with a spoon rest or even some baking utensils.
Most Le Creuset tea kettles come equipped with a stopper that lets steam out with a loud whistle once your water has come to a boil. Some find this annoying, so Le Creuset offers a special kettle called a pour-over without a whistle. However, you need to monitor the pour-over closely since it has no alternative means to alert you once the water has boiled.
All Le Creuset tea kettles have stay-cool handles, but one of its kettles has some uncovered metal near the handle. Pick a kettle with a completely stay-cool handle if you’re worried about burns.
How much you can expect to spend on a Le Creuset tea kettle
Le Creuset tea kettles typically cost $80-$200. Most cost $80-$150, depending on size and capacity. Some of the more intriguing designs and kettles with extras included can cost up to $200.
Le Creuset tea kettle FAQ
Is there a difference between a tea kettle and a teapot?
A. Yes. It’s minor, but important, even if some people and manufacturers use the terms interchangeably.
- Tea kettles are only used to boil water. As such, their designs are concerned with being able to handle extreme temperatures. Tea leaves never enter a kettle.
- Teapots are used to steep and serve tea. As such, their designs are concerned with appearance — some are even decorative only and can’t be used functionally at all. They can safely retain the heat of boiling water, but they should never come in direct contact with a heat source.
What are the benefits of drinking tea?
A. Tea comes in a multitude of varieties and all of them have several potential health benefits. According to the National Library of Medicine, some benefits include:
- General heart health
- Mental alertness
What’s the best Le Creuset tea kettle to buy?
Top Le Creuset tea kettle
Le Creuset Enamel-On-Steel Whistling Tea Kettle
What you need to know: It’s a beautiful tea kettle for those who like to leave theirs on display.
What you’ll love: It holds up to 1.7 quarts and comes in nine colors, including red and blue. It’s safe for use on induction stovetops and the handle is ergonomic and heat-resistant. You can buy it alone or packaged with one of three accessory sets.
What you should consider: It isn’t dishwasher-safe. A few consumers had issues with rust accumulating inside, and others found the spout to dribble when pouring.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon, Sur La Table and Wayfair
Top Le Creuset tea kettle for the money
Le Creuset Enamel-On-Steel Demi Kettle And Stoneware Mug Set
What you need to know: This is the perfect starter set for anyone wanting to get into tea.
What you’ll love: It holds up to 40 ounces, more than enough to fill both of the included 14-ounce mugs. The kettle’s interior has clear markings that denote the minimum and maximum fill levels. The enamel exterior is chip-resistant and the exterior and interior are easy to clean.
What you should consider: A few customers had issues with the whistle not working. Others found rust inside the kettle after a few months of use.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon, Macy’s, Sur La Table and Wayfair
Worth checking out
Le Creuset Stainless Steel Whistling Tea Kettle
What you need to know: This kettle is best for those who prefer a more modern look.
What you’ll love: It holds up to 1.7 quarts. The stainless steel exterior is sleek, heat-resistant and induction-compatible. It’s also dishwasher-safe, unlike the enamel-on-steel versions. The handle can lock into an upright position and the spout flips open for easy pouring.
What you should consider: The stainless steel is quick to gather fingerprints, so stick to the handles. A few purchasers had issues with water bubbling out as it was poured.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon, Macy’s, Sur La Table and Wayfair
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Jordan Woika writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.