Witness reveals details from Hoover Dam barricade


An eyewitness is sharing her story after being feet away from an armed suspect barricaded in an armored vehicle on the Hoover Dam bypass bridge Friday.

Meanwhile, there are many unanswered questions about a motive and the weapons found on 30-year-old Matthew Wright.

Arizona authorities arrested Wright.

8 News Now reached out to the state’s department of public safety and were told they have no additional information to release.

But more is being learned about the intense moments after Wright reportedly blocked traffic, leaving drivers confused and scared.

Not knowing what was going on, Jody Judd got her cell phone out and started recording.  She saw a black armored truck suddenly turn sideways on the Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge between Arizona and Nevada, blocking all travel lanes on U.S. 93 southbound.

“Just for a few moments, we thought ‘Oh man, maybe he broke down or something,” Judd said.

Excited to see their children, Judd and her husband were driving back home to Arizona after attending a conference in Las Vegas.

After coming to a stop and not seeing anyone get out of the armored truck, Judd says she got a bad feeling. Police say 30-year-old Matthew Wright was barricaded inside.

“We thought ‘OK, this isn’t right’ there is something definitely wrong here.”

Judd says at first everyone stayed in their cars, but eventually a driver got out. Judd got a glimpse of a man walking towards the armored vehicle but he quickly walked back and approached his car and said Wright was armed.

“He asked my husband is he was packing as if he was carrying a gun and then he said yes,” Judd said.

Still confused, Judd says their priority was to get out, especially after seeing the suspect posting signs on the window, including one that said “release the OIG report.”

“He kept putting them up and taking them down and then he would look through the window, but as he was doing this, he also got up towards the back of the vehicle,” she said.

Judd says, at one point, the suspect was moving the vehicle so her husband told her to hold on tight and he began honking at the two cars in front of them. The Arizona couple was relieved after barely making it past the armored vehicle.

“Just a few other cars were able to make it through before the armored vehicle kind of backed up,” Judd said.

As we’ve previously reported, no one was injured and the suspect was taken into custody without incident.

He was booked into the Mohave County jail on five charges, including terrorist acts, misconduct involving a weapon, and obstruction of a highway.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories