A student was forced into sex acts off the school’s campus of UNLV early Friday morning.
According to university police, the woman was approached by the suspect between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. as she was getting items from her vehicle in one of the parking garages on campus.
According to UNLV Police, the student parked her vehicle on the second floor of the parking garage, and as she was getting items out of her vehicle, she was approached by a black man, armed with a handgun. The suspect forced the woman back into her vehicle and made her drive off campus to the area of Katie Street, east of Cambridge Street.
When they arrived at the area, he forced her to perform a sexual act on him. The student was able to gain possession of the gun and fled the vehicle. The suspect also fled the vehicle on foot.
The suspect is described as a black man, with blonde dreadlocks, wearing a dark blue hooded sweatshirt with a white logo on the front, and blue jeans.
UNLV Police have increased patrols and its overall presence on the campus until further notice. Police officers will be authorized to work additional hours beyond shift. Security officers will be patrolling all campus parking garages.
Also, at the request of the UNLV Police Chief, CSN Police have authorized four of their police officers to assist in increasing police presence on the UNLV campus.
This matter is under investigation by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and the UNLV Department of Police Services. If you have any information related to this incident contact UNLV Police Services immediately at (702) 895-3668.
University Police reminds students, faculty, and staff to remain vigilant at all times and take the following actions to help ensure their own safety:
- Be aware of your surroundings and travel in pairs or groups whenever possible.
- Pre-program the number for University Police in your cell phone for use in an emergency in order to expedite your call: (702) 895-3669. Calls to 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone go to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, which are forwarded to the UNLV Police Services Emergency Communications & Dispatch Center.
- Download UNLV’s new RebelSAFE mobile safety app, which allows you to directly call the UNLV Police Department Emergency Communications Center on your smart phone. Download the app through iTunes, the Google Play Store, or on the department’s RebelSAFE page.
- Request a campus security escort 24 hours a day by calling UNLV Police Services at (702) 895-3668.
- To learn more Crime Prevention Tips visit https://www.unlv.edu/police/tips.
- UNLV Police would also like to advise the campus community of additional enhancements to campus law enforcement, public safety, and protective services, including upgrades to the UNLV Emergency Phone System, the introduction of the RebelSAFE Mobile Safety App, and enhancements to the RebelSAFE Alert System.