The capital murder trial in the case against Javier Righetti started Thursday. Righetti is accused of brutally killing 15-year-old Alyssa Otremba in Sept. 2011.
As the state presented its case, Righetti didn’t have any reaction to what prosecutors said, and one of the prosecutors told the jurors that the Otremba was killed because the Richetti was bored.
The prosecution went over in graphic detail what happened on Sept. 2, 2011. They said on that day Otremba walked to her friend’s house to get a homework assignment because she was home sick from school.
However, on her way back home, while the teen walked through a tunnel, Righetti sexually assaulted her, stabbed her more than 80 times, and then burned her body in an open desert area just a few hundred feet from her home, prosecutors said.
Jurors were even read part of an interview Righetti did with police detectives, in which he reportedly admitted to the crime.
“I grabbed her; threw her, got her all naked, raped her, and killed her — and took the phone. Easy money,” Giancarlo Pesci, the prosecutor said as he read part of Righetti’s interview.
During a short opening statement, Righetti’s defense attornies reiterated to jurors that they had made a promise to set their emotions aside and listen to both sides of the case. The defense also reminded the jury that the state had the burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Righetti was guilty.
In the past, Righetti’s attorneys had expressed concern over a lack of defense after their client previously pleaded guilty to the murder, but the judge threw out his guilty plea because he did not admit the killing was premeditated.
Day one of the death penalty trial ended with opening statements. Testimony in the trial will begin Friday morning.