The MGM Grand fire remains one of the worst disasters in Nevada history.

The Las Vegas hotel caught fire around 7 a.m. on Nov. 21,1980. There were 5,000 people staying in the resort. Eighty five people were killed and more than 600 were injured.

More than 500 firefighters from across Clark County responded to fight the blaze.

A lack of sprinklers in some areas of the resort allowed the fire to spread quickly. From the time the fire was noticed, it took six minutes for it to engulf the entire casino.

While the electrical fire started on the lower floor, in a restaurant, the majority of people who died were on the upper floors and were victims of smoke inhalation. The toxic smoke spread through the hotel’s air circulation system. 

The MGM Grand fire resulted in safety changes that now make Las Vegas resorts among the safest in the world, according to county fire and building inspectors.