A man is dead following a cooking fire at an apartment in the northwest valley. 

The fire happened around 1:45 a.m. at the Northpointe Apartments in the area of Cheyenne Avenue and Rancho Drive. 

Firefighters forced their way into the home and found the man unresponsive with burns to his hands and face, according to Tim Szymanski, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. 

Crews quickly put out the fire in the kitchen and rushed the man to University Medical Center where he died, Szymanski said. 

Investigators believe there may have been a flash fire while cooking which burned the victim. 

Firefighters ruled the incident an accident and estimated the damage at $25,000. 

This is the fifth fire death for the City of Las Vegas of 2017. Cooking fires are the leading cause of fire injuries in Las Vegas, Szymanski said.