LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The Clark County Fire Department has taken the lead on the investigation into an explosion at a Boulder City business.

Six employees were injured in a blast at Armorock Polymer Concrete earlier this week.

The county’s hazmat team has been there to assess hazardous material at the scene, and employees said the facility is currently closed.

A Clark County spokesperson has made a statement regarding the facility’s current condition.

The facility remains yellowed tagged to limit access to professionals for performing damage evaluation only. Our inspectors have made limited entries into the building and will make more thorough inspections once trained experts have determined that the site has been adequately cleaned of chemicals and it is safe for staff to return. Meanwhile, Clark County Building Department and Clark County Fire Department inspectors have been in communications with the plant manager and have imposed some conditions that must be met before operations may resume.

Officials are requiring:

-A report demonstrating that all hazardous materials spills have been cleaned up and properly disposed of.

-Proper temporary and permanent storage of chemicals and that a site map for this be provided.

-A complete list of all chemicals stored and used and Material Safety Data Sheets for those chemicals.

-A structural evaluation shall be performed by a properly licensed Nevada engineer. The engineer shall provide a report confirming that the structure is safe for occupancy.

-The fire protection system(s) be repaired, inspected and approved by Clark County Fire Prevention.

-Proper signage be posted and training provided to personnel on the use of proper PPE and handling procedure of all hazardous chemicals

-Electrical and general repairs.

As for the cause of the explosion and fire, the matter remains under investigation.

Clark County spokesperson

One of the six injured employees, Eddie DiGangi, spoke with 8 News Now about the destruction he witnessed.

DiGangi was closest to the blast and suffered severe burns. He was rushed to UMC Trauma after the incident.

“I was standing there looking down at my arms watching my skin melt,” he said. “Immediately it was, ‘This is life or death,’ that’s the first thing I thought and I said ‘I am not dying.'”

The 32-year-old father was working on his machine at the concrete facility when things quickly took a turn for the worse.

“Just within an instant it was fire, I felt the explosion, I saw it in front of me, it blew me a few feet back,” he said.

He took off his burning clothes and tried to find the nearest exit, where his wife, Nikki DiGangi, who works in the same facility, was frantically looking for him.

“I heard the explosion and it shook everything,” she said. “I heard screaming and I just told myself ‘I hope that’s not Eddie, I hope it’s not him,’ and as I listened I said ‘Oh my God, I think it is.”

DiGangi still has a long road to recovery and doctors believe he will need to be in the hospital for about a month. You can visit the GoFundMe set up by the family through this link.