LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The American Red Cross of Southern Nevada honored 12 local volunteers to recognize their commitment to various critical Red Cross efforts Saturday morning.
The annual Volunteer Recognition Event was held at the Discovery Children’s Museum from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The 12 volunteers and more than 500 others throughout Southern Nevada were acknowledged for their dedication to supporting communities in need.
Over the last year, Southern Nevada Red Crossers have donated more than 30,000 hours of service.
“Ninety percent of the work we do is done with incredible volunteers,” Heidi Ruster, Regional CEO of Red Cross Utah and Southern Nevada said.
These volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southern Nevada have assisted people in many different capacities. Some volunteers have helped with flooding, fires, supporting military families, and nationwide disaster relief.
“Our volunteers are trained and dedicated to helping their neighbors and beyond,” Rachel Flanigan, Executive Director of the American Red Cross Southern Nevada Chapter said. “Without their hard work and generosity, the Red Cross would not be able to deliver its mission.”
At the event, the highest recognition, The Clara Barton Honor Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership, was presented to Diana Orgill of Las Vegas, who also happens to be one of Nexstar’s Remarkable Women nominees.
“I am one who happens to have quite a lot of time to be a leader, but there are so many other people who make it all happen,” Orgill said.
“Diane’s selfless dedication is why we are able to accomplish our goal of making sure no one goes through a disaster alone,” Flanigan said. “Southern Nevada can be proud of her and all its dedicated volunteers who are the heart of the American Red Cross.”
Saturday’s awardees included:
- Diane Orgill: Clara Barton Honor Award for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership
- Eric Ventura: Rising Star Volunteer Award
- Stan Smith: Biomedical Achievement Award
- Janet Ravin: Board Member Recognition Award
- Jesse Oakley: Communications Volunteer Award
- Reino Graves: Disaster Preparedness Volunteer Award
- Nikki Morachnick: Disaster Response Volunteer Award
- Yuri Graves: Operations Volunteer Award
- Michael Hart: Service to the Armed Forces Volunteer Award
- Jeffrey Galaraga: Volunteer Services Volunteer Award
- Heather McMurran: Volunteer Leadership Award
- Maggie Graves: Special Citation for Exceptional Volunteer Service
8 News Now’s Kirsten Joyce emceed the event.