LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — According to North Las Vegas Police, both suspects are in custody following an early morning shooting over the attempted theft of a catalytic converter.
North Las Vegas Police are investigating the shooting that happened on East Azure Avenue off Lamb Boulevard around 7 a.m. Saturday morning in the northeast valley. This is the area just south of Centennial Parkway, near North Las Vegas VA hospital.
According to police, a vehicle owner tried to stop two male suspects from trying to steal a catalytic converter. A catalytic converter is an exhaust emission control device on an automobile.
One suspect, 29-year-old Antonio Alvarez then fired at the victim. The victim then returned fire and struck the other suspect, 38-year-old Armando Ante-Cedeno, according to police. The suspect sustained minor injuries was treated for his injuries at a hospital before being booked into the North Las Vegas Community Correctional Center.
The second suspect was later taken into custody.
Both 29-year-old Antonio Alvarez and 38-year-old Armando Ante-Cedeno are facing multiple charges:
- Attempted robbery with a deadly weapon
- Conspiracy robbery
- Injure/tamper with the vehicle, damage between $250 to $5000
- Possession of burglary tools
Alvarez is facing additional charges of; possession of a stolen vehicle, and discharging a gun where persons might be endangered.
The NLVPD is reminding the public to take steps to reduce the possibility of becoming a victim of catalytic converter theft by doing the following:
- Install a protection device
- Park in a garage or well-lit area
- Have your catalytic converter welded to your car’s frame
- Engrave your VIN number onto your catalytic converter
- Calibrate your car’s alarm to set off when it detects vibration
The NLVPD says there are only a few preventative measures they recommend.