LAS VEGAS (KLAS) – No more warnings. Starting today, anyone caught illegally using the valley’s new HOV lanes will get a hefty fine.
The rules on 22 miles of high occupancy vehicle lanes changed last month. They are now enforced 24/7. Previously solo drivers could use the carpool lanes during off-peak hours. It is also illegal to cross the double white lanes of an HOV lane. Drivers need to wait for a broken line to enter or exit.
Before today, the NHP had promised to let HOV scofflaws off with just a warning. But now a $250 fine takes effect.
Here’s a quick reminder for drivers:
- Allowed in HOV lanes:
- Vehicles with two or more people inside
- Emergency and law enforcement vehicles
Not allowed in HOV lanes:
- Vehicles with one person (unless a motorcycle)
- Trucks with more than two axles
- Electric cars with only one occupant