LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The Nevada Highway Patrol says a man is dead following a crash in the northeast valley.
It happened just before 10 p.m. on Las Vegas Boulevard, near Hollywood Boulevard, and involved a Jeep and moped.
According to NHP, the moped rider, identified as Justin Mott from North Las Vegas, 38, was traveling southbound on Las Vegas Boulevard when a Jeep came up from behind and hit it at a high rate of speed.
“The rider of the moped was thrown from the moped and succumbed to the injuries sustained in the crash and was pronounced deceased here on scene,” said NHP Trooper Travis Smaka.
The driver of the Jeep, identified as Mark Moden, was arrested and charged with the following:
- DUI, above legal limit, resulting in death (FELONY)
- Reckless driving, resulting in death or substantial bodily harm (FELONY)
- Failure to decrease speed or use due care (MISDEMEANOR)
- Driving without a drivers license (MISDEMEANOR)
- Open alcohol container in vehicle (MISDEMEANOR)
This is the 39th traffic-related fatality in NHP’s jurisdiction this year.