New York Times: Trump considered selling Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, former acting Homeland Security chief says

Local News

FILE – In this July 29, 2015 file photo, the Puerto Rican flag flies in front of Puerto Rico’s Capitol as in San Juan, Puerto Rico. A federal control board that oversees Puerto Rico’s finances approved on Wednesday, July 1, 2020, a new budget that largely suspends austerity measures and government cuts for one year as the U.S. territory struggles to recover from hurricanes, earthquakes and the pandemic. (AP Photo/Ricardo Arduengo, File)

(CNN NEWSOURCE) — President Trump considered the idea of selling Puerto Rico in 2017, according to the New York Times who recently spoke with Elaine Duke, the former acting Homeland Security Secretary.

Duke said Trump put the idea forward, after the island was devastated by Hurricane Maria.

She told the paper that Trump approached the disaster as a “businessman” and asked if the U.S. could divest it.

Duke says the idea was never seriously considered or discussed.

Trump has previously taken aim at Puerto Rican officials for their management of the billions in relief funds his administration has appropriated for storm recovery.

The President has accused the island’s leaders of spending some of that money for reasons other than hurricane clean-up.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories