UPDATE: 73-year-old woman killed in North Las Vegas fire identified

Local News

WATCH BRIEFING:

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The coroner has identified the 73-year-old woman who was killed in a North Las Vegas fire. Officials say Diane Scott-Miles was found dead in the double-wide trailer home.

The coroner ruled her death an accident, caused by carbon monoxide intoxication and thermal injury.

Officials say a portable space heater is to blame for the fire.

NLV Fire officials want people to be aware of the dangers of space heaters.

“They’re not meant to be used as a primary heat source. They need to have clearance around them to work effectively. In this fire, specifically, both of those didn’t happen,” Nino Galloway, NLV Fire Department, Communications told 8 News Now.

According to officials, the property had not had heat for eight years. They believe Scott-Miles was using the space heater as her primary source of heat. NLV Fire also says there “was a lot of contents in the room around it.”

One of the best practices to avoid fires, NLV Fire Chief says, is to maintain housekeeping. It leads to possible chances of a fire occurring as well as preventing people from escaping safely if there is a fire.

Officials recommend that you invest in newer space heaters if you need to use them.

Here are additional safety tips from the City of North Las Vegas Fire Department:

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories