LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — A lawsuit is set to be filed against the property owners of the Alpine Motel Apartments after a deadly fire more than a week ago. Six people were killed and thirteen others were injured.
There are many unanswered questions tonight. The big one – could this fire have been prevented?
Attorney Marwan Porter says residents didn’t have heat at the Alpine Motel Apartments. The emergency exit doors were allegedly bolted shut. Many of the residents were elderly and disabled. Some weren’t able to escape.
The fire department believes the fire was started by a stove that was being used to heat a unit.
Porter says several complaints were raised to management before the fire.
According to the victim’s family, Cynthia Mikell, 61, had been a resident of the Alpine Motel Apartments for two years before the fire.
The family alleges that apartment complex residents were forced to use their stoves in an attempt to heat their units when it was cold due to the apartments not being heated.
According to the family, temperatures were in the low 30s during the week of Dec. 16 and on the day of the fire, Dec. 21, the temperature was 39 degrees.
“It seems like this is a classic situation of some of the individuals were putting profits over people and whenever you do that, it’s going to be a tragic end,” said Porter.
Porter’s team has reached out to management but he has not received a response. He hopes to have more information within the next few months.