LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated local individuals’ struggles as many are losing income and can’t afford to pay their incoming bills.

8 News Now has compiled a list of resources aimed at helping those who are having troubles paying their rent and mortgage. This list includes free programs and grant applications.


On Thursday, June 25, Gov. Steve Sisolak announced the eviction moratorium will end in phases starting on Wednesday, July 1.

Landlords can start charging rent again, and that does include any rent owed the past few months during the pandemic.

The state recommends that landlords and tenants work together on repayment plans that protects both parties.

The directive will allow residential evictions and foreclosures to resume in full on September 1 for non-payment of rents and no cause evictions. Late fees or penalties for non-payment of rent or mortgage payments may not be charged retroactively.

The Nevada State Treasurer’s Office is working on coordinating a statewide rental assistance program to help residential and commercial tenants. The goal is to have the residential program up and running by mid-July and the commercial program shortly thereafter.


To help city residents who are experiencing housing issues due to COVID-19, the city of Las Vegas is offering a new, temporary grant program to provide short-term assistance.

This assistance will be provided for up to three months of “reasonable rent or mortgage and be paid directly to the landlord or mortgage company on behalf of eligible program participants,” the city stated in a news release.

The deadline for pre-applications is July 31, or when the funds are exhausted. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as assistance will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.

Only one pre-application per household will be accepted. The city says that anyone currently receiving a subsidy from another rental assistance program or living in public housing is ineligible for this grant program.

Find out if you are eligible by clicking HERE

For more information about the program, please visit Those with questions can call (702) 229-5935, Monday to Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., or email


The city of North Las Vegas is teaming up with local non-profits to provide four new programs, including one that assists with rental and utility.

For Temporary Rental and Utility Assistance, the following eligibility requirements apply: 

  • Must have a gross annual household income that is at or below the maximum income limits. For short-term assistance, the Area Median Income (AMI) limit is 80%; for long-term assistance, the AMI limit is 50% (chart).
  • Must be a city of North Las Vegas resident and reside in a property located within the city limits of North Las Vegas.
  • Must have a delinquency notice from landlord or mortgage company and documentation of financial hardship due to COVID-19 (i.e., loss of income, reduced hours, layoffs, etc.).
  • Must show a lack of assets or savings to pay rent/mortgage.
  • Anyone currently receiving a subsidy from another rental assistance program or living in public housing is ineligible.


Henderson has partnered with HopeLink of Southern Nevada in providing $1 million in relief that comes from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. The money is to help with mortgage, rental and utility assistance.

For more information on the program visit CHAP or call HopeLink of Southern Nevada today at 702-566-0576 to see if you qualify for assistance.


LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Clark County residents who need help paying their housing costs have a place to turn, thanks to the CARES Housing Assistance Program (CHAP). The program serves those who have fallen on hard times due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to the program’s website, assistance levels are based on the availability of CARES Act grant funding and an individual household assessment.

To qualify, applicants must:

  • Be current residents of Clark County
  • Demonstrate COVID-19’s impact on them

People living in public housing or receiving subsidies from another rental assistance program are ineligible.

If you are seeking mortgage assistance, you should first apply to the Nevada Affordable Housing Assistance Corporation (NAHAC). If you are unable to get assistance through NAHAC, you may still apply for CHAP.

Others seeking help may apply to one of Clark County’s partner agencies. The county warns to apply to only one, as speaking to several could cause a significant delay in processing your application. For a list of these agencies, click here.

Applicants must produce the following documentation when trying to determine eligibility:

  • Photo ID, regardless of state origin
  • Copies of bank statements
  • Verification of household members through lease agreement or identification
  • Documentation to support COVID-19 financial impact that resulted in one of the following:
    • Loss of employment
    • Reduction in work hours
    • Furlough from employment
    • Reduction in income/salary due to reduced business revenue
  • Documentation of financial impact includes but is not limited to:
    • Past paystubs prior to COVID-19 and current paystubs
    • Proof of Unemployment Insurance Benefits
    • Bank statements indicating loss in income
    • 2019 filed tax return
  • Other documents that indicate a loss/reduction in income due to the pandemic
    • For self-employed or business owners: Copies of bank statements beginning February 2020 and 2019 filed income tax return
    • Participating Landlord Verification Form
    • Client COVID-19 impact Statement

If you are applying for rental or mortgage assistance, you must also provide:

  • Copy of current lease or mortgage statement in the name of the person (or other household member) requesting assistance

If you are applying for utility assistance, you must provide:

  • Copy of current utility bill in the name of the person (or another household member) requesting assistance

Clark County notes that applications will be accepted until funds are depleted.


Clark County has two new small business grant programs.

  1. Small Business Rental Assistance program
    • Will provide up to $10,000 to cover past-due rent
  2. Small Business Protective Retrofit Grant
    • Will reimburse businesses up to $5,000 for costs such as purchasing personal protective equipment (PPE) for employees and installing no-touch doors and walk-up windows

While applications are available now, business owners will need to submit them from July 21 through Aug. 4. All applications must be submitted online.

The applications for the County’s Small Business Rental Assistance program and Small Business Protective Retrofit Grant are available to view at

Click HERE for more info about qualifications and more information about the grants.


Renters who may be having difficulty paying rent or landlords who may be having issues collecting payment can turn to the Neighborhood Justice Center for free mediation by phone.

According to the center, it can help mediate an agreement between the landlord and renter that is beneficial to both sides. The process can save money and stress by avoiding litigation.

Telephone mediation is for small claims issues.

Either party may start the mediation process by downloading and submitting the Mediation Intake Form from this website. You can also call (702) 455-3898.


United Way of Southern Nevada, a nonprofit organization, created the UWSN Emergency Assistance and Community Needs Fund to provide immediate basic needs through local nonprofits.

They’ve brought together 200 nonprofits to help the thousands of people who need it, and matched volunteers with organizations that need their help.

Funds from the UWSN Emergency Assistance and Community Needs Fund will not be distributed directly to individuals. Individuals should contact Nevada 211 at 1-866-535-5654 or click the “Get Help” button to be connected to local organizations who can assist. 

At least 11 organizations that received funding through United Way can help with rent or mortgages.

To learn more about the emergency fund, click HERE.


The Nevada Affordable Housing Assistance Corporation (NAHAC), a separate organization funded by the Department of the Treasury, is helping with mortgages only.


The Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada is a nonprofit law firm. It provides a variety of legal services to people in Nevada who can’t afford their own attorney.

Legal Aid is offering virtual classes on immigration, bankruptcy, guardianship and divorce. The best part? These classes are free of charge to make sure the community receives accurate, reliable information.

STORY: Nonprofit law firm providing variety of legal services to Nevadans in need

Additional free classes are offered in the areas of:

  • Collection proof
  • Criminal record sealing
  • Custody
  • Litigation trial preparation
  • Small claims

For more information on the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, click here.

If you are being wrongfully evicted, you can make a complaint to the Nevada Attorney General’s Office by clicking here.

This story is a growing list. 8 News Now will continue to add more resources as they become available.