LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Thanks to record-breaking heat across the western United States, electric companies are now asking for customers to conserve energy. NV Energy, along with other companies based in California are asking users to conserve energy from 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. Sunday.
Below is a list of quick measures to conserve energy during the time period:
- Turn off lights
- Turn off pool pumps
- Unplug appliances not in use
- Avoid cooking indoors on your stove or using the oven
- Use the microwave to cook or warm food
- Avoid using large electrical appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and electric clothes dryers
- Adjust the thermostat to 78 degrees or higher to reduce the use of air conditioning during this time, barring any medical issues, and use ceiling fans to cool people and pets. Pre-cool your home prior to 4 p.m.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer closed as much as possible
- Close window coverings to keep the heat out
- Do not charge electric vehicles between 4 and 9 p.m.
For more information, CLICK HERE.