LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Firefighters battled a blaze early Thursday morning at a senior apartment complex at Eastern and Washington avenues. No one was injured and firefighters were able to safely evacuate residents from Arthur McCants Manor.
“Everything that was supposed to happen, happened this morning,” said Tim Szymanski with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.
The fire was reported around 3:25 a.m. and there was a huge response. Szymanski said there were more than 100 firefighters and 40 pieces of equipment on the scene.
He said the fire started on the balcony of a second-story apartment and was smoking-related. The blaze caused extensive damage to two apartments and filled the hallway with smoke.
“The hall was completely smoke-filled and a lot of these people have hearing issues. The fire alarms did go off. These doors are made to withstand fire and smoke and a lot of them we had to wake them up and firefighters took them out,” Szymanski said. “With their doors closed, they were sheltering in place and it was probably a blessing in disguise cause they didn’t go into the smoke-filled hallway.”
Some of the residents had to be rescued by ladder because the hallway was filled with smoke.
Velma Prescott, who has impaired vision and had recent surgery, said she couldn’t have escaped her apartment if it wasn’t for the five firefighters who rescued her.
The southbound lanes of Eastern were closed to traffic for a few hours due to the fire.
The fire was quickly brought under control but the three-story building shows damage to at least two apartments and a hallway. Syzmanski said a resident had been smoking on a second-story balcony late last night and that’s where the fire started.
The residents who were evacuated were given blankets and put on an RTC bus so they could keep warm. The American Red Cross is assisting those who will need help.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.