LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Nevada Attorney General Aaron D. Ford announced Tuesday $2 million in settlement funding for emergency rental assistance for Nevada residents. The money is being transferred to United Way of Southern Nevada and United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra.
The funding is part of the previously announced settlement agreement with Wells Fargo. The transfer of the funding received approval from the Nevada State Legislature’s Interim Finance Committee Tuesday morning.
It will go directly to Nevada families in need of emergency assistance.
The Office of the Attorney General says it has received an unprecedented number of calls from constituents seeking help and information relating to eviction and rental issues, which is why the AG’s office also created an informational flyer on the Governor’s Directive halting evictions to help renters and landlords understand their rights.
“One of the most important things we can do as state leaders and as human beings is to keep Nevada families in their homes and prevent further suffering,” said AG Ford. “Every minute, another Nevada family calls my office for help so they won’t end up homeless. I am immensely proud that my office is able to prevent wrongful evictions, as well as provide emergency rental assistance funding to our trusted community partners at United Way.”
United Way of Southern Nevada and United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra are the state’s administering agencies for the Emergency Food and Shelter Program established by Congress in 1983. This additional funding from the Office of the Attorney General will supplement that program until the next set federal appropriation is released next fall.
The funding will help thousands of Nevada families stay in stable housing and prevent a further crisis of homeless families in the state.