LONDON (AP) — The Latest on an incident in London Bridge (all times local):
Police say the stabbings and shooting at London Bridge has been declared a “terrorist incident” and that a man was shot dead.
The Metropolitan Police’s Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu says the suspect who died was wearing a hoax explosive vest.
Police have said say several people have stabbed, though it was not immediately clear how many people were hurt nor the extent of their injuries. Basu did not address the number of injured in his statement Friday.
London’s Metropolitan Police say that though the circumstances of an incident on London Bridge remain unclear, authorities are treating it as if it is terror-related.
The police acknowledged one man had been shot in the incident that began at 1:58 p.m. on Friday. The police say that “at this stage, the circumstances relating to the incident at #LondonBridge remain unclear. However, as a precaution, we are currently responding to this incident as though it is terror-related.”
“One man has been shot by police. We will provide further information when possible.”
They previously said that several people had been stabbed nearby.
Police say several people have been stabbed close to London Bridge, and a man has been detained.
The Metropolitan Police force says officer were called Friday afternoon “to a stabbing at premises near to London Bridge.”
They say “a man has been detained by police. We believe a number of people have been injured.”
The news comes after witnesses reported hearing gunshots. Sky News reported that police had shot the apparent attacker.
British police say they’re dealing with an incident on London Bridge, and witnesses have reported hearing gunshots.
The Metropolitan Police force tweeted that officers were “in the early stages of dealing with an incident at London Bridge.”
A BBC reporter said he heard shots being fired and saw someone on the ground.