Former Metro Police officer Richard Scavone signed a plea agreement admitting he used excessive force against a suspected prostitute. The I-Team first broke this story Wednesday night.
Through the plea deal, the maximum sentence he can receive is one year in prison, along with a $100,000 fine, and supervised release and restitution. Scavone also agreed that he would never try to be a police officer again.
The I-Team spoke with Scavone in June as he left the Federal Court House.
“There’s selective narrow video, but there are also admissions, from a prostitute that admitted certain things that were ignored and covered by the department,” said Scavone.
But, Scavone had a different tone in front of a judge Thursday.
Through his plea deal, one of the charges against him was dropped, and he pleaded guilty to deprivation of rights under color of law, which means he abused his power as a Metro Police officer.
Scavone admitted he grabbed a suspected prostitute around the neck, threw her to the ground, struck her, and more.
The victim, Amanda Ortiz spoke exclusively to 8 News NOW last year.
“I saw my face on the glass, and my face was bleeding all over the place,” Ortiz said.
Ortiz was awarded$200,000 through a settlement after she sued the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. The department fired Scavone who had been previously recognized for good police work.
At the center of the investigation was video from Scavone’s body-worn camera, which Metro, so far has refused to make public although the U.S. Attorney’s office. The U.S. Attorney’s Office which is handling the case has never objected to Metro releasing the video.
Vanessa Murphy, I-Team Reporter: “Do you think you would have been charged federally without the body camera video?
Scavone: “It was the publicity that undersheriff McMahill brought up in this case.”
Scavone’s sentencing is set for January 2018. Scavone and his attorney denied to comment Thursday about the plea deal.