LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Your stove and oven are probably getting a workout this holiday season. However, if you want to avoid a visit from the fire department, 8 News Now has some tips.

On Thanksgiving, the Clark County Fire Department responded to eight cooking-related calls. In nearly every case, the fire was preventable.

Stephen Miller from Southwest Gas wants to remind people how to stay safe while you’re busy cooking in the kitchen.

  • The oven door should remain shut while baking. Don’t use the oven to heat your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Do not put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven. It can overheat the oven and damage it.
  • If your oven has a broiler drawer, do not use it to store items.
  • If you ever smell gas, call 911 and contact Southwest Gas at 877-860-6020