3 dogs killed in fire, senior man hospitalized


A senior citizen had to be hospitalized following a fire in northwest Las Vegas Wednesday.  According to fire officials, three dogs were killed. 

Investigators with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue believe food left cooking unattended on the stove started a house fire in northwest Las Vegas.

Fire dispatchers were notified at 5:37 p.m. that a house was on fire in the 3200 block of Hill Valley Street near CC-215 and Cheyenne.  

On arrival, firefighters found heavy flames and smoke coming from the right-rear corner of the one-story wood frame stucco house.  

When firefighters entered the home, it was full of thick black smoke and was extremely hot.  However, it only took firefighters about 15 minutes to bring the fire under control.

The fire gutted the kitchen and the great room.  There was heavy heat and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.  The damage was estimated at $150,000.

The man hospitalized suffered from smoke inhalation.  He was treated on scene and then transported to the Trauma unit at University Medical Center.  His condition was serious.

Fire investigators determined that both occupants were out of the house as the food was cooking on the stove.  The food caught fire and then spread.

The two displaced occupants are staying with relatives.  The three pet dogs died during the fire from smoke inhalation, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue said.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories