1 October survivors angry at delay in Vegas Strong Fund distribution

News

It has been three months since the 1 October shooting and there are still millions of dollars waiting to be distributed. 

“When are people ever going to get money?,” said Suzanne Michaels. 

8 News NOW met Michaels, Michael Scheidle and Kimberly Baker at the Healing Garden Thursday night. 

“I’ve had anxiety for a while because I just can’t make ends meet right now,” Sheidle said.

It’s a similar story for several other survivors who are struggling to get by.

“I’ve been living off of my savings. I used the $2,000 I had in savings plus I took out $2,500 with my bank and I don’t have rent paid out,” said Michaels. 

The Vegas Strong Fund stopped distributing money last week to survivors to vet claims. Baker says she was next on the list.

“It’s just very frustrating because we’ve tried to do all of this, you know, get all of this help that was promised to us and it’s just all falling through like one by one,” said Baker. 

Baker was working as a bartender the night of the shooting and now, she says she suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 

“They said ‘Oh, you should expect it by Friday or Saturday and overnight priority’. Then, they called the next day and said ‘Sorry, they froze the funds,” Baker added.

Michaels was also working as a bartender that night. She hasn’t been able to go back to work because she can’t stand for long periods of time and hurt while seeking shelter. 

“We’re residents here. We’re the service industry here. Help us out,” Michaels said.

The Vegas Strong Fund is different from the Las Vegas Victims’ Fund. It’s a separate non-profit that has raised more than 22 million dollars, fund distributions will in March.  

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories