Del Sol Academy’s Newsies in “What’s Cool at School”

Whats Cool at School

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Del Sol Academy students are making headlines with their recent production of “Newsies,” a rousing rendition of the theatrical production and Disney film. 

The story is based on true events when a team of underdogs became improbable heroes standing up to the powers that be with the newsboy strike of 1899.

This is not a lean machine; but rather a full production of 48 actors, another 25 students on costumes, 20 on the crew, and 30 musicians in the live band, led by Conductor Paul Lowry. Rehearsals started back in December with Director Tim Beringer and Choreographer Barbie Collins.The process to bring this kind of show to the stage involved a significant amount of preparation and rehearsal.

As one of the lead actors T.J. Dupress, who plays “Jack Kelly” said, “All of the hard work that was all gathered up…..I finally get to share it with everyone who wants to see it, and it’s….almost like they got a little piece of my heart.”

Another lead – Elizabeth Barajas Vasquez – who played “Katherine,” worked through knee pain, and a bloody nose…..on stage! 

“I like to give it my all so I can really say that I put my blood, sweat, and tears into this show!” The kinship, connection, and camaraderie felt with castmates are palpable. 

“That’s just really important to have in life is people that you can look up to and who stand by your side and who will fight for you, and fight with you,” said Kayleigh Marshall who played “Crutchie.”

Complex choreography, high-energy song and dance, a stirring story….and at show’s end – thunderous applause from the assembled crowd!

Dio Raquel Jr. – “Davey” in the production – described that moment, “The adrenaline is pumping throughout my veins…..It’s really nice the audience captures what we’re trying to tell..”

Kayleigh Marshall added, “It feels like this overwhelming ocean of love and acceptance….it’s just amazing!”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories