A school fundraiser that’s not selling anything? How does that work?

Whats Cool at School

What's Cool At School for Friday, October 8, 2021

LAS VEGAS ( KLAS ) – A school fundraiser where the kids aren’t selling anything? How does that work?

Students at Hayes Elementary school are learning that kindness pays off – literally. PTA Vice-President Beth Newitt explains:

“Each student registers online and then is able to send emails to friends, family, requesting donations. And then, instead of selling something, the kids just basically request a donation, and then they’re paying it forward with acts of kindness.”

Assistant Principal Michelle Thom: “A student told me today they helped their mom make their bed today.”

PTA President Stacey Johnson: “It’s so fun just to hear the kids say simple things, even. Like: ‘smile at somebody.’ Or go sit next to somebody who doesn’t have a friend to sit next to.”

3rd grader Maeve Newitt: “I like making colorful cards and making crafts for people.”

4th grader Liam Johnson: “Sometimes I read to my little sister. I only have two sisters.”

Nate: “I tell you what, Liam, I have a couple of sisters myself. It’s hard to be nice to your sisters.”

Hayes Elementary Principal Lindsay Packer says: “The one thing that really stood out to me when we were talking about it today: I went to a classroom and I asked a student and he said, ‘Well, I brought some chocolate for my teacher.’ And I said, ‘That’s wonderful, but how did it make you feel?’ And so, really instilling the fact that by doing nice things for people and being kind, really, the point is to make you feel good about it.”

It’s the “Raise Craze” fundraiser for Hayes Elementary. Here’s a link to it RAISE CRAZE FOR HAYES

And here’s a link to the school.

Also – just for the record for young Liam and all the great folks from Hayes on that zoom call – it’s *not* hard to be nice to my sisters, Deb and Nikki.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

8 news now breaking and daily news sign up

CONTESTS

Pro Football Challenge

Don't Miss

Trending Stories