Big Sister of Southern Nevada is an oustanding mentor for the past decade

Acts of Kindness

Many families need a helping hand with a mentor for their child, and that’s where the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Nevada Mentorship program comes into play. Our acts of kindness recipient this week, is one of those outstanding mentors. Jennifer Shydler and Jala Nickerson have a special relationship. The two met ten years ago, when Jennifer signed up to become a “Big Sis.” Jennifer says Jala was just four years of age at the time, “At first it took time for Jala to trust me, that I was going to continue showing up. Me showing up consistently really helped develop that trust.” Jala needed that one on one quality connection time with someone, other than her older brothers. Jala says, “I was excited, finally get to have a sister to understand me. I thought it would just be fun, to have somebody in my life who is positive, and I feel like they care what I’m talking about .” The relationship has blossomed over the ten years together. Jennifer adds, “Definitely since becoming a teenager she’s really opened up to me, asking for advice. Whenever she has problems with friendships, or new relationships – especially with boys that I always caution her about. “ Jennifer educated Jala about the importance of giving back, they both volunteer together at the Nevada Partnership For Homeless Youth. Jennifer co-launched a program for her female colleagues at Bank of America – pairing them up with young women who need help increasing their professional exposure. Jennifer also helps kids who are aging out of the foster system through the non-profit, Olive Crest.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories