Acts of Kindness: Vanette Christensen

Acts of Kindness

A Girl Scouts volunteer is helping educate young women about the organization’s mission, one artifact at a time. She wins this week’s Acts of Kindness award.

Vanette Christensen takes great pride in her involvement with the Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada.

“I’m a Girl Scout. It’s not what I do. It’s who I am,” she said.

As the historian and archivist, her volunteer job is to preserve the artifacts that have been donated or gifted and use them to educate young girls about the history and mission of the Girl Scouts.

“All of the different levels are represented here,” she said.

Items include the first Girl Scouts uniform that girls could buy or sew themselves, as well as the official buttons that could be rented from the organization for 15 cents.

Christensen knows the history; she was a Girl Scout growing up.

It was an amazing balance and a contrast to what she eventually chose as a career: law enforcement.

She attributes her nearly three decades in law enforcement to her history in the Girl Scouts.

“Girl Scouts at a young age gave me great confidence and character,” she said. “It taught me great skills to be bigger than anything I could.”

She moved to Las Vegas after retiring. Her two daughters both continued with the Girl Scout legacy.

Today, Christensen makes it her mission to inspire the many other young women to reach their potential.

“Having them know they’re part of something, service to communities, carry on those legacies,” she said,

“We’re blessed by volunteers. Vanette has brought history to life for so many girls and volunteers here in southern Nevada,” Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada CEO Liz Ortenburger said.

8 News NOW is rewarding Vanette Christensen with this week’s Acts of Kindness award.

If you wish to nominate someone for Acts of Kindness, visit our website or e-mail us.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories