Fire Officials Offer Grilling Safety Tips - 8 News NOW

Fire Officials Offer Grilling Safety Tips

Posted: Updated:
It's recommended you keep the grill at least three feet from your home. It's recommended you keep the grill at least three feet from your home.

This Fourth of July, there are a lot of precautions to take -- from fireworks to grilling. Did you know tossing out embers from the grill is one of the most common ways fires are started accidentally?

Several thousand structure and outdoor fires are started accidentally each year as the result of a barbeque gone badly. Tim Szymanski with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue says to start with, don't leave your grill unattended.

Get more grilling safety tips

"You shouldn't walk away from it. So if something happens, you're there to take care of it immediately," he said.

One of the most common mistakes occurs with charcoal -- when the ashes are discarded too soon. Briquettes can retain heat longer than you may realize.

"You're going to have to let is set for at least a couple of days. If you want to dispose of them immediately, you have to fill it with water and let is soak for at least an hour," said Szymanski.

Other safety tips include: designate a no play zone to keep children away from the grill, keep the grill clear of the house and shrubs, only use starter fluid that's intended for the grill, check propane connections for leaks and only grill outdoors to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you live in an apartment, there are some rules to be aware of there.

"You can't have like a balcony above you. That's against regulations too -- fire codes. And also, you can't take propane above the first floor. We don't want propane bottles inside apartment buildings," said Szymanski.

It's recommended you keep the grill at least three feet from your home.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
  • Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:48:54 GMT
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
  • UMC lays off 100 employees

    UMC lays off 100 employees

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:05 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:05:59 GMT
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.