Man gets eight years in child prostitution case - 8 News NOW

Man gets eight years in child prostitution case

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS -- A federal judge sentenced a man Tuesday to eight years in prison for enticing two minor girls to travel from Oakland, Calif., to Las Vegas last year to work as prostitutes, Nevada's U.S. Attorney Daniel Bogden said.

Seagram Joshua Miller, 21, of Hayward, Calif., who pleaded guilty in January to one count of coercion and enticement of a minor, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Kent Dawson. Miller’s co-defendant, Ray Darnell Webb, 20, also pleaded guilty to one count of coercion and enticement, and was sentenced in April to eight years in prison.

“These sentences send a strong message that coercing a minor to work as a prostitute is a deplorable and shameful crime that will land you in prison for a long time,” Bogden said. “It is simply unacceptable for adults to take advantage of minors in such a way that forever will impact their lives. We are working with our community and law enforcement partners to arrest and prosecute the persons who commit these crimes.”

According to court records, Webb and Miller met a 12-year-old female in Oakland, where she was working as a prostitute. Shortly thereafter, the girl began working as a prostitute for the two men. In April 2013, Miller met a 16-year-old female on Facebook, and she also began working as a prostitute for the men.

Miller, Webb and the two girls later arrived in Las Vegas to make money. Before leaving, Webb and the older girl posted an advertisement on a website so that they would have dates lined up when they arrived in Las Vegas. On April 29, 2013, Webb, Miller and the two minor girls drove from Oakland to Las Vegas and stayed in a rented hotel room on Las Vegas Boulevard. Both girls worked as prostitutes on April 30, 2013, and in early May.

The cases were investigated by the FBI and Metro Police, and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Nicholas Dickinson and Phillip Smith, Jr.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • BREAKING NEWS: Defense in HOA Case Seeks Trial Delay

    BREAKING NEWS: Defense in HOA Case Seeks Trial Delay

    Monday, July 28 2014 7:58 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:58:29 GMT
    Defense lawyers are seeking to delay the start of a federal case involving a former construction boss and five other defendants accused of wrongdoing in the operation of Las Vegas Valley homeowners' associations, but a magistrate judge Monday said the motion would be more appropriately decided by the trial judge. 
    More>>
    Defense lawyers are seeking to delay the start of a federal case involving a former construction boss and five other defendants accused of wrongdoing in the operation of Las Vegas Valley homeowners' associations, but a magistrate judge Monday said the motion would be more appropriately decided by the trial judge. 

    More>>
  • Former CCSD administrator enters not guilty plea

    Former CCSD administrator enters not guilty plea

    Monday, July 28 2014 3:40 PM EDT2014-07-28 19:40:26 GMT
    Retired Clark County School District administrator Priscilla Rocha entered a not guilty plea Monday morning in Las Vegas District Court.More>>
    Retired Clark County School District administrator Priscilla Rocha entered a not guilty plea Monday morning in Las Vegas District Court.More>>
  • 1 dead in accident in North Las Vegas

    1 dead in accident in North Las Vegas

    Monday, July 28 2014 1:22 PM EDT2014-07-28 17:22:03 GMT
    One person is dead following an accident near Craig Road and Losee Road. The accident happened at approximately 7 a.m.More>>
    One person is dead following an accident near Craig Road and Losee Road. The accident happened at approximately 7 a.m.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.