No charges for parents of Nevada school shooter - 8 News NOW

No charges for parents of Nevada school shooter

Posted: Updated:

SPARKS, Nev. (AP) -- Police say they won't pursue criminal charges against the parents of a Nevada seventh-grader who went on a shooting rampage at his school nearly seven months ago, killing a teacher and wounding two classmates before committing suicide.

In the days after the Oct. 21 shooting at Sparks Middle School, police said 12-year-old Jose Reyes' parents could be charged if they knowingly made the gun available to him.

But Sparks Police Chief Brian Allen said at a news conference Tuesday there's no evidence the couple committed a crime.

The boy took the semi-automatic handgun from a kitchen cabinet in their home. His parents, Jose and Liliana Reyes, say they were not aware that he knew it was kept there.

It was also revealed that Reyes was a taking a prescription antidepressant and had told a psychotherapist that he was teased at school. Reyes did leave a suicide note saying he wished he had been a better son.

Allen also says police believe Jose Reyes searched online for videos about Columbine High School massacre and other school shootings.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.