LAS VEGAS -- Two men were sentenced to prison Wednesday in unrelated cases for transporting minor girls from northern California to Las Vegas last year to work as prostitutes, Nevada's U.S. Attorney Daniel Bogden said.
Andrew West, 27, of Hayward, Calif., was sentenced by U.S. District Judge James Mahan to eight years in prison. West pleaded guilty in January to one count of transportation of a minor for prostitution.
Ray Darnell Webb, 20, also of Hayward, was sentenced by District Judge Kent Dawson to eight years in prison. Webb pleaded guilty in January to one count of coercion and enticement. Both men will also have to register as sex offenders when they are released from prison.
“Transporting minors across state lines to work as prostitutes is a federal felony crime with serious penalties,” Bogden said. “We are working with our federal, state and local law enforcement and community partners to ensure that the persons who commit these types of crimes are prosecuted.”
According to court records, West, a 16-year-old girl and others last May traveled in from San Jose, Calif., to Las Vegas. West, the girl, and another male later checked into a Boulder Highway motel. West told the girl to commit sex acts to pay for the room. She walked Boulder Highway and solicited separate dates with four men she took back to the motel room.
The girl earned $260 total, part of which was provided to West after each date. The girl was arrested last May 4 when she attempted to solicit a date from an undercover Metro Police officer in the motel parking lot.
Also in early 2013, according to court records, Webb and co-defendant Seagram Miller met a 12-year-old female in Oakland, Calif., where she was working as a prostitute. Shortly thereafter, the girl began working as a prostitute for Webb and Miller. In April 2013, Miller met a 16-year-old female on Facebook, and she also began working as a prostitute for Webb and Miller.
Webb and the older girl posted an advertisement on MyRedbook.com to have dates lined up for a trip they planned to Las Vegas. The ad contained photographs of the girl. On April 29, 2013, Webb, Miller, and the two minor girls drove from Oakland to Las Vegas and stayed in a rented hotel room on Las Vegas Boulevard. Both girls worked as prostitutes on April 30 and in early May.
Miller also pleaded guilty and is scheduled to be sentenced May 20.
The cases were investigated the FBI and Metro Police as part of the Innocence Lost Task Force. The cases are being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Nicholas Dickinson and Phillip Smith, Jr.