Shocking Video Shows Suspects Lighting Pet Store on Fire - 8 News NOW

Shocking Video Shows Suspects Lighting Pet Store on Fire

Posted: Updated:
Surveillance video captured images of the fire. Surveillance video captured images of the fire.
Gloria Lee Gloria Lee
Kirk Bills Kirk Bills

LAS VEGAS -- More than two dozen puppies were trapped in their cages, left helpless, while two accused arsonists made their way through a pet store, torching the place.

That is what can be seen on an incriminating surveillance video released Tuesday. The video was taken the night of the fire at the Prince and Princess Puppies Boutique.

The release of the video came on the same day as the debate over the ownership of the 27 puppies continued in court. The puppies are caught in a legal limbo as the estranged husband of one of the accused arsonists tries to stop a plan to raffle them off.

Judge Says No to Puppy Adoption Raffle -- For Now

The nearly half-hour video shows someone pouring what is believed to be flammable liquid around the store and near the cages holding the puppies. That person then lights the liquid.

Eight cameras around the pet shop recorded the video. Prosecutors showed the video to a grand jury last month. Jurors decided there was enough evidence to go ahead with an indictment against store co-owner Gloria Lee and her alleged co-conspirator Kirk Bills.

Prosecutors say it is Lee seen entering the store near Rainbow Boulevard and the 215 Beltway on Jan. 27. About two minutes later, Lee is at the back door letting in a man who investigators say is her accomplice, Kirk Bills.

The store is dark and the 27 puppies are in their cages along the wall. The work of torching the shop starts in the back room.

Investigators say it is Bills who starts by dousing the shelves with what looks like lighter fluid. While that is going on, the person prosecutors identify as Lee is working in the office, gathering files and other paperwork.

At 12:53 a.m., cameras catch the first splashes of the liquid being thrown onto store merchandise. The gas is poured throughout the main store and in front of the cages where the puppies are held.

Moments later, Lee leaves through the front door. About three minutes later, investigators say, Bills finishes pouring the flammable liquids and begins to lay down newspapers.

Then, just one minute past 1 a.m., the store is ignited. The flames creep along the floor, spreading right in front of the puppies cages. The puppies can be seen moving away from the intense heat as more and more of the store is engulfed.

Just seconds later, police say Bills is at the back door lighting a few more items on fire before leaving. Within seconds, the store is beginning to fill with intense heat and smoke.

Within two minutes of the first sign of flames, the fire alarm starts to sound and the sprinklers come on.

The sprinklers contained the fire, saved the lives of 27 puppies, and preserved the cameras and video evidence.

Lee's alleged accomplice Bills is set to go before a judge for his arraignment Wednesday morning. Lee is set to be in court Wednesday for a motion to set bail.

Related Stories

New Details in Grand Jury Transcripts in Pet Store Arson Case

Former Customer 'Sickened' by Pet Store Fire

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.