LAS VEGAS -- Several people, including firefighters, were stung by bees at an apartment complex in the northwest part of the Las Vegas valley.
According to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, dispatchers received calls just before 2 p.m. Tuesday that three people had been stung at the Paradiso Apartments, which is at Rainbow Boulevard and Smoke Ranch Road.
When crews arrived, they noticed numerous bees, which seemed to be aggravated, flying around the parking lot. Some people, who were leaving or entering their apartments, that did know about the bees were also stung, along with firefighters who had responded to the scene.
No one was taken to the hospital because of the bee stings. The apartment management called exterminators to take care of the bees.
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue is reminding people that it is bee season in southern Nevada. The department has already received several reports of bee activity and swarms. Bees are usually passive, unless their hive is disturbed. They will sting aggressively, if they sense danger.
A bee hive should only be handled by a professional bee exterminator. The fire department does not exterminate bees, but crews will respond if someone is being stung or is suffering a medical condition because of a sting.