T-Mobile Will Pay You To Dump Your Carrier - 8 News NOW

T-Mobile Will Pay You To Dump Your Carrier

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- T-Mobile landed a one-two punch Wednesday, revealing killer 2013 subscriber numbers and making a new $650 offer to poach competitors' customers.

The company added 4.4 million customers in 2013 -- its biggest growth in eight years. The company says it's proof its "uncarrier" strategy -- aimed to upend the mobile industry -- is working after only 8 months.

In the fourth quarter alone T-Mobile added 1.6 million new subscribers, bringing its total customer base to nearly 47 million people.

T-Mobile shares temporarily stopped trading after the company made the surprise announcement. The company intends to release full details of its earnings Feb. 25.

That news was paired with an offer to people who want to switch but are stuck with bigger carriers like AT&T, Verizon or Sprint: Cancel your contract and we'll pay your termination fees up to $650. That deal includes a maximum of $350 per line and $300 per phone.

The catch? You must trade in your old phone, buy a new one from T-Mobile and fork over your current number.

The deal is likely to be perceived as a response to AT&T's $450 pitch earlier this week to T-Mobile customers. But it's just the latest move in the company's strategy to kill contracts and hand customers more power.

"We will become famous for this in 2014," CEO John Legere told reporters at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. "We're going to force the industry to change. I want every customer to have a complete choice. It's going to be a healthier industry."

This is the same irascible executive who crashed AT&T's party at CES this week and got kicked out by security. He's a former AT&T executive at that.

Like most of the company's recent cheeky campaigns, T-Mobile urges competitors' customers to visit T-Mobile.com/break-up and write their mobile carrier a teenage-angst-ridden break-up letter.

"It's not a bribe. It's transformational for our industry," T-Mobile's chief marketing officer, Mike Sievert, said at CES.

He claimed a family of four on an unlimited data plan could save $1,880 in two years and noted the economic significance for a middle-income American family.

Chief Technology Officer, Neville Ray, also said that T-Mobile can now claim a faster network than AT&T in some cases. Legere joked that he might pull another media stunt by sending AT&T, which frequently claims to be the fastest, a cease-and-desist letter along with a camera crew to tape it.

"We're going to level the playing field," Ray said at CES.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • BREAKING NEWS: Fatal stabbing near Lake Mead and Los Feliz

    BREAKING NEWS: Fatal stabbing near Lake Mead and Los Feliz

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:30 GMT
    Metro Police are investigating a fatal stabbing that occurred early Thursday morning. Police say someone stabbed two people on Exeter Drive near Lake Mead Boulevard and Los Feliz Street shortly after midnight.More>>
    Metro Police are investigating a fatal stabbing that occurred early Thursday morning. Police say someone stabbed two people on Exeter Drive near Lake Mead Boulevard and Los Feliz Street shortly after midnight.More>>
  • Henderson budget shortfall could mean higher taxes, fees

    Henderson budget shortfall could mean higher taxes, fees

    Henderson budget shortfall could mean higher taxes, fees

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:07 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:07:18 GMT
    The City of Henderson is staring down the barrel of a $19 million budget shortfall.Proposed ways to bridge the gap include cutting services at local parks and recreation centers and increasing property taxes.More>>
    The City of Henderson is staring down the barrel of a $19 million budget shortfall.Proposed ways to bridge the gap include cutting services at local parks and recreation centers and increasing property taxes.More>>
  • State accepts NLV balanced budget plan

    State accepts NLV balanced budget plan

    Thursday, April 17 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-04-17 11:17:20 GMT
    The City of North Las Vegas says the state has no problems with the city's proposed balanced budget plan. A balanced budget was due Tuesday to avoid a possible takeover by the state.More>>
    The City of North Las Vegas says the state has no problems with the city's proposed balanced budget plan. A balanced budget was due Tuesday to avoid a possible takeover by the state. More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.