Las Vegas Sands Cancels Spain Casino Resort Plan - 8 News NOW

Las Vegas Sands Cancels Spain Casino Resort Plan

Posted: Updated:

MADRID (AP) -- Las Vegas Sands Corp. says it has scrapped plans to build a multibillion-dollar "EuroVegas" resort in Spain.

A statement on the company's website Friday said the project near Madrid did not fit with the company's immediate development plans, which will be focused on its Asian business.

The casino company led by Sheldon Adelson had considered investing more than 22 billion euros, or $30 billion, in the project that was to include 12 hotels, six casinos, a convention center, golf courses, theaters, shopping malls, bars and restaurants.

Spain, where unemployment stands at 26 percent, had hoped it might create some 260,000 jobs.

The plan had been fiercely opposed by many people who feared it would lead to a change in non-smoking laws, promote prostitution and provide only low-paying jobs.

 

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
  • Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:48:54 GMT
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
  • Coroner's office identifies 2-year-old hit by car

    Coroner's office identifies 2-year-old hit by car

    Saturday, April 19 2014 5:44 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:44:02 GMT
    The coroner's office has released the name of the little girl struck and killed by a car this week.More>>
    The coroner's office has released the name of the little girl struck and killed by a car this week.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.