Metro: Man Shot by Officers Threatened to Go on Killing Spree - 8 News NOW

Metro: Man Shot by Officers Threatened to Go on Killing Spree

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS -- Metro Police now say the man officers shot and killed Saturday was threatening to go on a killing spree and wanted to die.

Police released new details about the case Thursday. Clark County Undersheriff Jim Dixon says Patrick Heki was ready to end his life by shooting others and threatened officers with a gun.

However, Heki's parents say that is far from what happened.

Dan and Julie Unger say their son was never diagnosed with depression but was upset, especially Saturday night.

They tell us Heki was disgusted with his appearance after a gunshot wound disfigured his face two years ago. The Ungers say the accidental shooting changed their son from a boy to a broken man.

"'People are making fun of me. People are thinking I'm a freak.' he goes, 'I can't take it anymore.'" Dan Unger remembers his son telling him.

On Saturday, his parents say he picked up two rifles and a handgun, threatening to kill himself.

"I asked him, 'please do not. Stop. Put the gun down.' He said, 'no, I'm done," Julie Unger recalled.

She secretly called 911 and then left the cell phone with an open line on the table.

Undersheriff Jim Dixson says 911 operators overheard Heki saying troubling things, including that he would die that night, that it was a good night to start killing and that he was going to go on a killing spree.

Officers arrived at the complex near Flamingo Road and Boulder Highway only to find Heki dressed in camouflage and already firing.

"We arrive. We hear shots fired. We immediately look for cover and at that point in time, you've now gone into that mode where you're going to be protecting yourself and others," Dixon said.

Police say Heki went outside and pointed the handgun at police. Fearing for their safety, three officers reacted at once.

"We all fire simultaneously. We're all seeing the same thing," Dixon said.

Heki's parents agree with much of what police said about that night, but disagree with what happened just before police shot their son. The Ungers say he was trying to surrender when officers fired the deadly shot.

"When he tried to turn, that is when all hell broke loose. They just lit him up," Dan Unger said.

The couple are now planning to sue Metro Police over their son's death, believing the officers reacted too quickly.

Police say in certain situations, they have no option but to protect their lives and the lives of others.

According to police, Heki has no criminal history and bought his handgun legally. The rifles belonged to family members.

The three officers who shot Heki are on paid administrative leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

The Clark County District Attorney's Office will also be reviewing this case.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.