Ex-Con Enters Plea in Las Vegas Child Sexual Assault Case - 8 News NOW

Ex-Con Enters Plea in Las Vegas Child Sexual Assault Case

Posted: Updated:
Richard Schlacta Richard Schlacta

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A 48-year-old ex-convict from California pleaded not guilty in Nevada state court to charges that he abducted a Las Vegas schoolgirl and sexually assaulted her at knifepoint.

Richard Martin Schlacta faces nine charges including kidnapping, sexual assault of a minor, attempted sexual assault of a minor, coercion, and battery in the Aug. 28 incident.

The girl testified at a preliminary hearing last month that Schlacta grabbed her as she was locking her bicycle at a school bus stop, threatened to slit her throat with a box cutter, pulled her behind a building and attacked her before she got away.

Schlacta is jailed on $1 million bail.

His arraignment was postponed Nov. 27 after his defense attorney withdrew and two deputy Clark County public defenders were appointed to his case.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
  • Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:48:54 GMT
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
  • Fire damages apartments near Maryland & Hacienda

    Fire damages apartments near Maryland & Hacienda

    Sunday, April 20 2014 9:52 PM EDT2014-04-21 01:52:26 GMT
    Las Vegas-- Investigators are looking into what sparked a fire at an apartment complex near Maryland Parkway and Hacienda.The Clark County Fire Department says the blaze started in a garbage can on the east side of the building. A total of five units were affected by smoke and water damage.The Red Cross is assisting one person from one of the units.Arson investigators are looking into the cause, but say there's nothing suspicious about the fire at this time.More>>
    Las Vegas-- Investigators are looking into what sparked a fire at an apartment complex near Maryland Parkway and Hacienda.The Clark County Fire Department says the blaze started in a garbage can on the east side of the building. A total of five units were affected by smoke and water damage.The Red Cross is assisting one person from one of the units.Arson investigators are looking into the cause, but say there's nothing suspicious about the fire at this time.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.