County Looking at Spending Money to Market Shooting Range - 8 News NOW

County Looking at Spending Money to Market Shooting Range

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS -- The Clark County Shooting Range has lost more than $4 million since opening four years ago. According to a county study, it is expected to lose nearly $1 million more this year.

During Tuesday's Clark County Commission meeting, the commissioners decided to spend money on advertising the complex, so it can make money.

Last month, 8 News NOW showed commissioners how the shooting complex in the northwest part of Las Vegas is losing about a $100,000 a month.

Commissioner Steve Sisolack suggested the county connect with professional marketers like the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority to bring more people to complex.

One of the complaints commissioners heard Tuesday is the way the shooting complex handles bookings and how that is costing it money.

"There are user groups that have historically been booking the range and not showing up and not using it. Those groups are continually allowed to book the range preventing other user groups to come in and spend the money and denying the county of the revenue," a volunteer at the shooting complex told the county commission.

The volunteers who brought those concerns to the commissioners are part of the solution for the biggest expenses of the complex, which is employee salaries.

Management told 8 News Now that they are going have more unpaid volunteers run most of the park.

Selling the park to a private company would be a pricey option. The money used to build the park came from the Southern Nevada Public Land Act, which means if the county sold the park, it would have to pay the federal government back the $50 million in federal money used to built it.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.