LAS VEGAS -- College of Southern Nevada has withdrawn its support for a proposed constable's academy.
Last month, the I-Team had the story of 13 cadets who had been training at the Las Vegas Constable's Academy.
However, after the deputy constable's abrupt resignation, the cadets faced losing their money and chances for future peace officer jobs.
Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak brokered a deal with the Southern Desert Regional Police Academy at CSN to open up their program to the constable cadets, but Sisolak says the college president called him Tuesday morning claiming they could not take on the liability of letting the constable cadets in.
CSN released a statement about the decision:
"CSN has spoken with the Nevada Commission on Peace Officers' Standards and Training or POST and it is our understanding that once the Constable's academy was de-certified, the cadets enrolled in the academy cannot simply finish the program in that, or any other academy. They must instead start their training over from the beginning with a Nevada POST certified institution. That means that no institution or agency can take these students and finish up their training, as that would that would violate Nevada POST regulations.
However, CSN understands the situation these cadets have been forced into and are extremely appreciative of Commissioner Sisolak's efforts on their behalf. With the county's assistance, we would like to reach out to help each of them apply to our academy, if interested."
The constable's office says they have no options on the table to train those cadets.