UPDATE: Chief: Only Lone Gunman in Navy Yard Rampage - 8 News NOW

UPDATE: Chief: Only Lone Gunman in Navy Yard Rampage

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect.

Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis of Texas, was also killed.

Gray said at a news conference late Monday night that they are still notifying the families of about half of the 12 people who were killed.

Authorities say there is no indication of a possible motive at this time. However, Alexis was currently working as a defense department contractor, but it's not clear if he was assigned at the military base in southeast D.C.

Defense officials say Alexis was working as an information technology contractor, but it was not known which company employed him.

As a contractor, he could have had a badge that might have gained him access to the base. Alexis was a former Navy reservist, serving from 2007 to early 2011.

The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University also says he was an online student pursuing a bachelor's degree in aeronautics. He started classes in July 2012. 

Alexis was killed during a running gunbattle with officers.

The lone gunman opened fire Monday inside one of the Navy's oldest buildings, attacking office workers at a heavily guarded military facility in the heart of the nation's capital.

The attack unfolded just a short distance from the White House and the U.S. Capitol at a former shipyard that is one of the Navy's oldest shore facilities.

The building that was targeted was the military's headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command, which buys, builds and maintains ships, submarines and combat systems. About 3,000 people work at the headquarters, many of them civilians.

Witnesses described a gunman opening fire from a fourth-floor overlook, aiming down on people in the first-floor cafeteria.

As emergency vehicles and law enforcement officers flooded streets around the complex, a helicopter hovered overhead, nearby schools were locked down and airplanes at nearby Reagan National Airport were briefly grounded so they would not interfere with law-enforcement choppers.

Less than 2 miles away, security was beefed up at the Capitol and other federal buildings, but officials said there was no known threat.

President Barack Obama mourned yet another mass shooting in the U.S. that he said took the lives of American patriots. Obama promised to make sure "whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible."

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.