Deadly Bus Stop Crash Still Vivid for Family Members - 8 News NOW

Deadly Bus Stop Crash Still Vivid for Family Members

Posted: Updated:
The crash happened in the morning hours of Sept. 13, 2012. The crash happened in the morning hours of Sept. 13, 2012.

LAS VEGAS -- One year ago, a drunk driver slammed into a crowded bus stop in Chinatown killing four people and leaving several others injured.

The Sept. 13, 2012 crash was so severe, Metro Police say even some of the most seasoned officers and EMS workers needed counseling after responding to the wreckage scene. The crash site was littered with body parts and people clinging to life.

Metro officers still vividly remember the morning of the wreck at Spring Mountain Road and Decatur Boulevard when an impaired driver lost control and plowed into a bus stop hitting several people. There are still tell tale signs of the crash left on the pavement. 

"Coming back to this parking lot and seeing paint that's slowly going away, you're realizing that was body parts," said Metro Police Sgt. Nate Anderson.

On Friday morning, families gathered to remember those who died, including Johnnie Garner, a woman who took the bus to work nearly every day. This time last year, her daughter Nichelle was searching hospitals, unsure if her mother was among the injured or dead. Hours later she received the news her mother was among those killed.

SLIDESHOW: One Year Later

"You go through the anger and you're mad, and you don't understand," said Robin Wynkoop with STOP DUI.

She says hitting the one year mark is a tough one for the family members of victims.

"You just think the what if, what if, what if? All day," she said.

The crash also left several people seriously injured. A teenager sitting near the bus shelter was hit by the car and thrown across the parking lot. He survived, but has severe brain damage. His mother says he is unable to attend school and has lost much of his ability to speak in English and Chinese.

The group that gathered Friday morning lit candles, left flowers and prayed for the victims.

"You realize that this isn't something that goes away in a day. This is something that affects people's lives forever and ever," Sgt. Anderson said.

Gary Lee Hosey, the man who was driving the car, agreed to plead guilty to five felony DUI counts for the crash. He now faces 80 years in prison. He will be sentenced Nov. 1.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.