New Charges Filed Against Woman from 24-Hour Standoff - 8 News NOW

New Charges Filed Against Woman from 24-Hour Standoff

Posted: Updated:
Sara Jones Sara Jones

LAS VEGAS -- New charges have been filed against a Las Vegas woman involved in the 24-hour standoff with police.

Metro Police announced Friday that six counts of attempted murder of a police officer were added to the charges against 29-year-old Sara Jones.

Jones is already facing charges of kidnapping, child endangerment, resisting a police officer and assault with a deadly weapon from Tuesday's incident. She has been booked in absentia to the Clark County Detention Center.

She is still in the hospital recovering from a gunshot wound to the face.  

The incident started when an officer responded to a report of a domestic disturbance at a home on Newton Drive, which is near Tropicana Avenue and Mountain Vista Street, just before 11 p.m. Monday.

When the officer arrived, he saw Jones' husband Blake and a 10-year-old girl leaving the home. Blake Jones had a shotgun, which he put down when ordered to by the officer. The girl had a handgun, which she dropped as well.

The officer says he saw in the doorway of the home Sara Jones armed with a handgun and holding a young boy.

He told her he was an officer and instructed her to drop the gun. She told him she was going to shoot herself and her son, according to the officer.

She then went back into the house and barricaded herself in the home. The first officer on the scene talked to her for nearly an hour, trying to get her to come out.

SWAT and Metro Police negotiators tried for several hours to get Jones to come out of the home, with no results.

Police say at approximately 10 p.m. Tuesday, they heard a gunshot from inside the home. When officers entered, the woman ran into the bathroom with one of her children and barricaded herself inside.

SWAT officers entered the bathroom, and Jones fired at the officers, hitting one in the shin. Police returned fire and shot her in the face.

Jones was transported to University Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries. The two kids inside the home were not hurt. The officer who was shot had minor injuries. The children are now in the custody of Child Protective Services.

When school let out Tuesday afternoon, there were concerns parents would have difficulty picking up their children from schools near the home; however, police told 8 News NOW parents encountered no problems getting their children.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.