I-Team: Another Civilian Quits Metro's Use of Force Board - 8 News NOW

I-Team: Another Civilian Quits Metro's Use of Force Board

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS -- Another person has resigned from Metro's Use of Force Review Board. Controversy surrounding Sheriff Doug Gillespie's decision to keep an officer -- who shot a man -- on the force keeps growing.

Although five civilian members have resigned, the board still has enough civilian members to continue, but the ones who did quit are among the most experienced members.

Robert LePiere was the latest person to send in a resignation letter. Metro Police officials said they were already taking LePiere off the board as they transition to remove former law enforcement officers.

LePiere handed in his resignation Thursday morning to protest Sheriff Gillespie's recent decision to keep Officer Jacquar Roston on the force. Roston mistakenly shot an unarmed man in east Las Vegas on Nov. 22, 2012. The review board recommended Roston be fired, but Sheriff Gillespie decided against it.

Metro Police report five board members have handed in their resignation letters since then. LePiere believes that to save the civilian review board, the pre-termination board -- filled with police officers -- should be eliminated.

"There's too many moving parts. You have the board. You have a pre-termination board. If he recommended termination, it goes to arbitrators and all. It's fine to have some oversight, but I think you're getting pretty far upstream as far as the number of people looking in on the matter," LePiere said.

The sheriff's office kept their reaction of the recent resignations to a statement thanking the board members for their service. The resignations have been trickling in since Friday. There are still more than a dozen civilians remaining on the panel.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.