LAS VEGAS -- A grass fire ignited a house in the 5400 block of Escondido Street, near Russell Road and Spencer Street, Tuesday afternoon.
High winds fueled the grass fire until it was out of control. The house then caught fire and high winds further fueled the flames, according to the Clark County Fire Department.
The fire, which started about 4:30 p.m., took 42 firefighters from Las Vegas and Clark County 20 minutes to put out.
The fire appears to have started by a lit cigarette tossed into the grass, the fire department said.
No injuries were reported, but a family of eight was displaced.