I-Team: Trial Dragged Out in Foreclosure Rental Scam Case - 8 News NOW

I-Team: Trial Dragged Out in Foreclosure Rental Scam Case

Posted: Updated:
Eric Alpert Eric Alpert

LAS VEGAS -- Eric Alpert, the discredited ex-Realtor at the center of housing scam allegations, has been facing a court trial and legal problems for years.

The complaints against Alpert keep piling up, nearly four years into his court trial.

Over the years, he has racked up a number of negative customer reviews.

Nicole Phillips, who rented from Alpert, said, "I feel awful inside. I felt like I had really been had."

Alicia Jackson, whose house had been broken into, said, "Basically, just because the home is abandoned, he felt that he could rent it out."

Another Alpert renter, Patrick Edgar, said, "We wanted to lease that house, but there was still stuff in there and he told us to put it in the garbage and give it couple of weeks and if they don't get it, you can throw it in the trash."

Metro and North Las Vegas police spokespeople said Alpert would break into vacant or foreclosed homes and then rent the houses to unsuspecting tenants, despite not owning them, or have any authority to rent them out.

The I-Team found Alpert's company rented out at least 54 homes, and may have been taking in $100,000 a month.

Alpert bailed out of jail after his 2009 arrest.

Prosecutors quickly began questioning witnesses in court.

"He mentioned that under Nevada statute, that he could claim our property since it was abandoned," homeowner Camille Acoymo said on the witness stand.

Deputy district attorney Michael Staudaher: "But you hadn't abandoned your property?"

Acoymo: "No."

Staudaher: "So, he tells you he can come into your house and just take it?"

Acoymo: "Yes."

Acoymo's testimony was in January 2010.

Alpert is now on his third defense attorney and each change further delays the court system.

This March, prosecutors got word that Alpert was continuing his alleged scams.

Court records show a judge ordered Alpert to not "engage in the same kind of conduct."

The prosecutor on the case told the I-Team they're interested in hearing about the latest scam allegations coming in on Alpert.

But prosecutors face a problem growing with time.

Many of the witnesses -- the renters and the homeowners -- have moved out of Nevada and are difficult to find.

Prosecutors are asking the judge to allow testimony collected years ago into the criminal trial -- whenever it might begin.

Alpert's defense is considered precedent setting. The defense attorney at the time claimed Alpert has the right to all those properties under what are essentially squatter's rights.

In other words, any foreclosure is up for grabs. Just put a note on the door, wait two weeks and it's yours.

Alpert's third attorney said he just got the case and doesn't expect the 2009 charges to be heard in court before February 2014.

Alpert faces $200,000 in fines and an effective life sentence in prison if found guilty on all charges.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • BREAKING NEWS: North Las Vegas Police investigate double shooting, one dead

    BREAKING NEWS: North Las Vegas Police investigate double shooting, one dead

    Saturday, April 19 2014 12:49 AM EDT2014-04-19 04:49:04 GMT
    North Las Vegas, NV. --North Las Vegas police are investigating a double shooting Friday night shortly before 8 p.m.Investigators said two men were shot at a home on Arbor Crest Street, near East Tropical Parkway and Donna Street.A 60-year-old man was taken to UMC Trauma with his condition unknown at this time. The second victim, a 37-year-old man, sustained non-life threatening injuries and treated on scene.Police are investigating the shooting as a domestic violence incident.More>>
    North Las Vegas, NV. --North Las Vegas police are investigating a double shooting Friday night shortly before 8 p.m.Investigators said two men were shot at a home on Arbor Crest Street, near East Tropical Parkway and Donna Street.A 60-year-old man was taken to UMC Trauma with his condition unknown at this time. The second victim, a 37-year-old man, sustained non-life threatening injuries and treated on scene.Police are investigating the shooting as a domestic violence incident.More>>
  • BREAKING NEWS: UMC lays off 100 employees

    BREAKING NEWS: UMC lays off 100 employees

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:52 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:52:41 GMT
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.