LAS VEGAS -- Las Vegans weren't immune in getting sick from the Firefly restaurant salmonella outbreak. It almost ruined months of hard work for 37 students at UNLV.
The group had just finished putting the final touches on an advertising campaign for a competition in California. They decided to eat and celebrate at Firefly Restaurant on Paradise Road.
As they prepared to leave for California, 10 members that included five of the main presenters for the group became ill.
"We're going against some of these top notch schools, especially UNR, our rival school," presenter Kristina Guerrero said.
The intense competition required flawless presentation in front of hundreds in the face of the worst salmonella outbreak in a decade. The team somehow pulled together and won the campaign.
"We were working really hard, for four months and there was a lot of all-nighters. We were at school as late as 5 in the morning," project coordinator Lisa Coruzzi said. "We started experiencing the introductory symptoms, the spotty aches, tingling, nausea, and we thought we were getting some kind of flu."
The group came up with a clever media campaign for Glidden Paint and took the top prize. They are now headed to the national competition in Phoenix, Arizona.
"My entire team was in front of us, watching us present and knowing that their dedication and hard work amounted to this 20-minute presentation," presenter in competition Gabe Lapuz said. "All the presenters took all that power and all their will, even though they were having all these symptoms, to go on with the presentation and show what UNLV made out of."
The owner of Firefly restaurant said that location will not reopen, but a new location will open down the street and said those plans were already in works well before the sickness outbreak.