LAS VEGAS - Four people were displaced following a fire in a home near Nellis Boulevard and Cheyenne Avenue Tuesday morning. The family did not sustain serious injuries, thanks to the quick thinking of a teen resident.
Clark County Fire officials say the fire engulfed the mobile home at approximately 4:30 a.m. and caused damage to an adjacent property. Crews put out the fire within 30 minutes.
Homeowner Shelly Avila said she was awake when the fire started, but says it was her 17-year-old son who saved the day.
"I guess he knew before I knew what was going on, because he was in the front," she said. "It just happened so fast. When you live in a mobile home, you have about three to five minutes to get the heck out of it or you're done."
Avila says her son broke a window and physically removed his autistic brother and their two dogs from the burning home. Other than cuts he sustained from breaking the glass, no one suffered injuries.
The American Red Cross of Southern Nevada is assisting the family.