LAS VEGAS -- A popular Las Vegas tapas restaurant is closed after 39 people reported getting sick after eating there and 10 people needed medical attention.
The Southern Nevada Health District closed Firefly on Paradise Road Friday and is currently testing its food. The restaurant was fined $700 and cited for 47 violations.
Danielle Susz is one of the people who suffered fainting, vomiting and stomach pains after eating at the restaurant. When her family came to visit, she took them to one of her favorite restaurants,
"We had fun. We talked a lot, had a great meal. We laughed a lot, and then went home and everything was fine," said Susz.
The UNLV junior, her father and her aunt all ended up in the emergency room with food poisoning.
"They gave me some fluids, and about halfway through the first liter I was able to hold my head up and speak which was good," Susz said.
The health district says her symptoms match that of 38 other people who ate at the Firefly on Paradise Road.
Environmental Health Director Amy Irani said it could be as simple as one employee not washing their hands.
"Salmonella is another instance of using raw eggs that are not pasteurized or product held at improper temperatures. So temperature violations, food handling violations, those are the major ones that cause any kind of food borne illness," Irani said.
Samples are being tested to find out which food-borne bacteria caused the outbreak. For most people, a bacteria like salmonella or E. coli will cause serious but temporary stomach problems; however, in young children or the elderly, it can be deadly.
"The health of my employees and my guests is the most important thing in the world. I mean, I eat here. My family eats here. My whole family works here. Their kids eat here, and the last thing I want to do is hurt people," owner John Simmons said Monday.
The health district said the restaurant will remain closed until its investigation is finished.
Monday, September 1 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:06:07 GMT
Some medical providers say they often deal with Hispanic patients who are afraid to seek medical care. In some cases, it has to do with a language barrier, but in most cases, it is fear among undocumented immigrants that they could end up being deported. More>>
Some medical providers say they often deal with Hispanic patients who are afraid to seek medical care. It's hoped the opening of a new medical clinic will change that.
Monday, September 1 2014 5:58 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:58:50 GMT
The three-day holiday weekend ended with visitors crowding the airport and freeways as they made their way back home. According to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Association, around 313,000 people visited Las Vegas over the Labor Day weekend. More>>
The three-day holiday weekend ended with visitors crowding the airport and freeways as they made their way back home.
Monday, September 1 2014 5:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:51:43 GMT
Tens of thousands of people bid farewell to summer by enjoying Lake Mead for Labor Day weekend. While there were a few minor rescues, DUI's and boating incidents, the vast majority of people had some fun in the sun. More>>
Tens of thousands of people bid farewell to summer by enjoying Lake Mead for Labor Day weekend. While there were a few minor rescues, DUI's and boating incidents, the vast majority of people had some fun in the sun.