Woman Killed in Apartment Fire - 8 News NOW

Woman Killed in Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo Courtesy: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Photo Courtesy: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue

LAS VEGAS -- A woman died in an apartment fire at Oakey and Valley View boulevards Wednesday afternoon, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue. 

Las Vegas Fire spokesman Tim Szymanski said the woman, in her 60s, lived with her sister in the apartment. When the sister took her dog for a walk, she returned to find their apartment on fire.

Szymanski said the woman was smoking before the fire started and the blaze might have been sparked by a lit cigarette.

"Most of the time what takes the work isn't the firefighting, but actually evacuating those people," Szymanski said. "Regardless if you live in a senior complex or a single family home, evacuation is paramount during a fire emergency and you should practice."

Resident Connie Vieira said it was something she'd never seen before. Word quickly spread in this tight knit complex it was a woman she had seen before.

"I just known her for her dogs because I have a dog as well and I seen her when I walk my dogs," Vieira said. "It's a tragedy because I know who she was, it was awful."

The woman was found in one of the bedrooms.

The fire was first reported just before 4 p.m. Wednesday. Crews were able to confine the fire to one apartment.

Damage to that unit was estimated at $50,000. 

The unit above had light smoke damage to the interior; damage was estimated at $15,000.

Today's fatal fire is the second this year in Las Vegas.  Last year there were a total of five deaths due to fire.

  • Las Vegas NewsLas Vegas NewsMore>>

  • Police investigate double stabbing

    Police investigate double stabbing

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:17:18 GMT
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
    Two people suffering stab wounds were rushed to the hospital Friday afternoon, Metro Police said.More>>
  • Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Street performers peeved over downtown bathroom ban

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:48:54 GMT
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
    Street performers bring a lot of entertainment to the Fremont Street Experience, but some of their say they are being forced out of the area when it comes to taking a bathroom break.More>>
  • UMC lays off 100 employees

    UMC lays off 100 employees

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:05 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:05:59 GMT
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
    University Medical Center laid off more than 100 employees Friday and announced it will close four care centers.More>>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.