Controversial Police Shooting is First Review for County - 8 News NOW

Controversial Police Shooting is First Review Under New Process

Posted: Updated:
Stanley Gibson Stanley Gibson
Stanley Gibson's car being towed after the shooting. Stanley Gibson's car being towed after the shooting.
The panel meets at the Clark County Commission Chambers. The panel meets at the Clark County Commission Chambers.

LAS VEGAS -- Veteran Stanley Gibson was shot seven times by Metro Police in Dec. 12, 2011. Today, that shooting will be the focus of the first Police Fatality Public Fact-Finding Review Panel.

This process replaces the controversial coroner's inquests. The inquests were meant to gather information regarding officer-involved incidents that resulted in deaths. The process has been on hold for more than two years due to legal issues. Police also said the process was adversarial.

The inquests were given a new name and structured differently. The Police Fatality Review Process will now take place outside of a courtroom and not have a panel of citizens listening to testimony. There will also be fewer witnesses.

The first review will be the shooting of 43-year-old Gibson, a disabled Gulf War veteran, who was confused and drove into an apartment complex where he didn't live. Residents called police to report something suspicious. Gibson's family said he suffered from post-traumatic stress and had been off his medication.

When police responded, Gibson tried to drive away and ignored police orders. Officers planned to use beanbag rounds to hit Gibson's car. When officers shot the beanbag round, one officer fired live rounds hitting and killing Gibson.

Police said there was a breakdown in police radio communication that led to the deadly shooting.

WATCH: Live coverage of the review starting at 9 a.m. on 8NewsNOW.com.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KLAS. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.